Thursday, August 20, 2020

Purple Chilli Peppers

It's really quite nice to be eating stuff that we've grown. Growing herbs and chillies in this manner keeps it rather clean (my skin reacts rather badly to soil). It's idiot-proof and I don't have to think about whether green thumbs are required. It's not a question of whether the patio gets enough light to grow herbs and edibles. (It doesn't, no direct sunlight at all times of the year.) My skin reacts very badly to soil, so I don't quite like the traditional pots and whatnot for plants. All my air-plants have mysteriously died over two weeks, and the new ones brought in died too. Duhhh. I'm not all that fond of plants or flowers. I'm quite happy to have the fake ones.

The three pods in the Click & Grow nurtured purple chilli peppers. They spent a good four months in it, flowering and finally fruiting. I didn't have to wait for the peppers to turn red before harvesting them. These will fruit in green, grow to the size of a fingernail and turn purple, then red. They could be harvested when purple, or even when they're green. 

I managed to harvest three batches of tiny cute peppers from them before calling it a day and chucking out the plants. From these three pods, the plants quietly grew and flowered for the first two months, then the nutrients within were sufficient for them to continue fruiting for two months. It was quite a pretty sight.

Each batch produces about 15 to 18 cute peppers. That's more than sufficient to see us through four meals as a side dip, or eaten with noodles. If I'm tossing them with vegetables, then I use about five to six at a go. These peppers hold quite a bit of heat, but they aren't as spicy as chilli padi. The green ones are spicier then its ripening purple or ripe reds. I was surprised that these peppers' heat is fairly tasty.

No comments: