Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Closing Out Another Year of Pilates

It’s always lovely to close out the year strong at Pilates. It's nice to evaluate how it has helped with postural alignment this year and what I should work on for the next. It's different every year. Truth be told, as the body ages, I feel it in my bones. Literally. Joint mobility is a wee bit hindered, and I have to ensure that the surrounding muscles stay oiled and strong enough to support that.

It's a fallacy that as you get stronger, you won't get DOMS. If you're repeating the same movements all over again, then no lah, you won't be sore because your muscles have gotten used to it. Do a new movement. You will ache. You will ache too, if you exercise with intention to target certain muscles. Delicious aches will ensue. The exercise focuses on core strength and balancing the body, all of which I need more than ever. I'll have a think of what I want to check in and focus on next year.

Spending time in the studio this year end meant that I could push myself a little more on the machines that I don’t normally use at the instructor’s home studio. (Her home studio has limited space.) Extra studio time over two weeks meant I could really do a round-up of the year. Ran through the gamut of advanced moves on the various machines on different days. The point was to execute those moves at a measured pace and to get as close to a perfect form as possible.

No comments: