Thursday, December 31, 2020

The Last Day of 2020

This has been the weirdest year of the pandemic known as 'COVID-19'. I'm sure most of us can't wait to turn our backs on it and be rid of it. Most people would describe it as a 'shit-show of a year'. But the strangeness of the year might not be done with us just yet. We would do well to learn from the lessons the year has afforded.

It has been a difficult year for many. The bubble that is Singapore (and our efficient government and public service) has cushioned us to many of the harsh realities wrought by the pandemic. While we focus on getting through the year, keeping loved ones happy and safe, and keeping up with optimism, we mustn't be any less pragmatic. We're in a technical recession. We're kidding ourselves if we think otherwise. We will feel the full ripples of the industry losses and fallout next year.

We haven't hosted many friends at home although Singapore's Circuit Breaker Phase 2 and now Phase 3 have begun. We're going out to have meals with friends, but we're also well aware of the associated risks., so we aren't merrily meeting people every day or every other day. I rarely attend big group gatherings anyway, so that's a moot point for me. There's no such thing as seeing eight people for lunch, eight people for coffee and another eight for dinner for days in a row, not even if these are faeriefolk or family. I'm not throwing caution to the wind because the man's got his aged parents to think of, and I've got the old folks on my roster whom I see weekly (and have done so since April; especially after securing approval). Then there's the dog who needs us both healthy. So we're just a tad wary lah. 

The last day of the year for me began like many mornings in the year — quietude, and a last look on my personal 2020. Then the man and I took the dog out for a walk. Ironically, many familiar and enjoyable nature reserves are closed off to me now because they don't allow dogs. There isn't a point for me to stroll through it, not even with the friends when dogs aren't allowed because the time frame of any hike is the dog's morning walk. So the man and I or with the indulgent friends have been exploring other green venues (regular parks and trails) that permit dogs. 

Goodbye 2020. Buckle up. We gotta hang in there for 2021. 

Resigned to Proudly wearing the pom collar that Aunty JJ bought.

2 comments:

Cavalock said...

Have a blessed 2021!

imp said...

To you too. More fun and good eats, and no achy joints.