Wednesday, December 16, 2020

One Water Heater Tank Cracked and Leaked

I'm paranoid about water leakage in the home. I've had enough nightmares about water leakage issues and its ensuing mess. Especially after that wall of cascading water in the kitchen before we moved in. I'm always sensitive to the sound of water in the flat, especially if it makes a rhythm it isn't supposed to at an odd timing. This resulted in me knowing when the neighbors upstairs flush the toilet, shower and use the sink. Hahahah. 

Last night, I heard an odd new sound of water dripping overheard in the bedroom toilet, and decided it didn't sound right. The color of the false ceiling didn't look right either. It was 11.30pm, but I had to get up there to check. WOAH. That damn water heater tank cracked and sprung a leak. OMG. I turned off the valves and immediately soaked up the excess water, and also stuck blu-tack on the crack lines. 

At least it's not the pipes. I'm relieved that I caught the leak in time for it not to turn into a waterfall down the ceiling to flood everything, kill the electricals or the mains, and having to install a whole false new ceiling panel. I was immensely grateful that my contractor answered my SOS at midnight, and sent plumbers over first thing in the morning. He's such a godsend. 

To have a water heater tank crack and leak in two years? Come on. Ariston water heater tanks might be good, but the installation job was crap. The developers in this estate didn't give a shit about possible cracks in the tank during transport and installation. The workers for my unit probably didn't care too. Why should they? I know many units in the estate face this issue of water tanks leaking. One neighbor in my block had theirs BURST, and it flooded the entire false ceiling panel and also the room. OMG. The water leakage issues in this estate are so bad that they had to send out a survey form to ask us about it. 

When I saw the model of the leaking Ariston 56-liter water heater versus the size of the opening in the ceiling last night, I was like 'you fucking idiots.' The developers' instructions were dumb. The workers fixed and wired up everything in the ceiling, THEN layer the false ceiling over it. Without calculating the measurements needed for removal or repair. Even I knew this based on one look. Indeed it was so. I didn't say a thing, and my plumbers regretfully informed me that they had to cut up the false ceiling in order to remove the heater and place the new one in. 

Put a collar on the dog in case she made a run for it when the workmen opened the door to get tools, gear and such. Yup, she tried it twice. Got caught. So she gave up and went to nap at the patio. I had sent videos and photos to alert the contractor to the situation, so the plumbers came prepared with a new water tank, new brackets, cutters, drill, and sufficient equipment to complete the job. Man, this is hard work. They were neat about it though. That was most appreciated. It was a three-hour two-men job. (My funny contractor still hadn't sent me the bill. Alamak.) Thank God that this didn't happen during lockdown. I left the access panel open to air for a few days, and I'd check on water pressure and all that, and slide it shut later. 

No comments: