Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Ribs & Shoulders


We've been working on shoulders in Gyrotonic class. I've always asked to focus on spinal rotation, especially on my weaker right side. The year's class is structured in such a way that it caters to my current aches knots, but it also fulfills the objective of balancing both sides since the right side is significantly less flexible than the left. I love how Gyrotonic balances out my body and eases out all kinks and knots. 

In-person classes allow for physical adjustments on the body to the correct and desired form. That might mean me feeling awkward because it's not my natural leaning. But natural could mean unbalanced, lop-sided. So the instructor would either push or pull to balance out the hips, ribs or shoulders. When I understand the correct form to adopt in the exercises, I do feel the strain on certain parts of the muscles alleviated. Photos and clips are often the best way of illustrating the instructor's corrections. 

The instructor has left me with four sets of easy-to-fulfil exercises to do at home while she goes on a break. She has worked all year and totally deserves a rest. Meanwhile, I'll keep the spine and ribs moving. Otherwise she'll get a rude shock in January at how stiff my spine is when we return to the exercises on the machine. Heh. Holiday feasting and its eventual weight increment are the least of my concerns. I wouldn't be having any of that. Indigestion and food allergies keep me greedy mouth firmly in check. There wouldn’t be a lack of activity either since I'll be out walking, running and swimming. I just need to do conscious and conscientious movements to keep the spine and ribs flexible. 

Gotta protract the right shoulder blade a lot more. 

No comments: