Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Soothing Those Dim Sum Cravings!


I hadn't stepped into Asia Grand Restaurant for months! This was my first visit since March. They’ve kept their standards so far. I love the menu at this restaurant, so it isn't so much about its dim sum. There’re many dim sum restaurants with their specialty. You just need to decide your favorites and find a restaurant that does whatever dim-sum items to your preferences. 

People like Asia Grand Restaurant's Peking duck because apparently it’s cheap and good. I’m not sure if it’s done to what purists prefer, but the skin is crisp. When I just think of it as a roast duck, it’s pretty decent. Hahaha. I haven't ordered this for a whole year, so I can't quite recall how it is.

The BFF and I love this restaurant for its properly done congeesteamed laap mei fan and its weekend soup of generous slices of pig's stomach and salted vegetables. We don’t really care about its dim sum. I’m not a fan of har gow, siew mai and such. I can eat those, but I don’t care which is good or whatever. 

The BFF has recently decided to avoid eating seafood, so she will skip those fish and prawns in dim sum too. I go for cheong fun, and the versions here are okay. I'm after the thin and silky rice wrap more than the fillings. 

Of course I completely over-ate. I was thinking that we should have ordered TWO PORTIONS of the steamed lupcheong and yuncheong rice. Hurhurhur. We took the 1.15pm seating and didn’t roll out till 3.30pm. This would be my one meal of the day. I couldn’t eat dinner, except to have a bowl of soup with some vegetables and two cuttlefish balls. This meal should soothe some dim-sum-whatever cravings for a bit.

When the travel bubble between Hong Kong and Singapore was announced, I was like, ‘Hmmm, naaaah.’ Even if I can deal with the fluctuating requirements of getting tests done and waiting around for it, I don't want to deal with hotels and airlines. I'm not traveling over to someone's home or a ready apartment in which there isn't a consideration for accommodation or quarantine requirements. These are bubbles. Bubbles are really thin and prone to bursting, depending on the infected numbers in each country. It was unsurprising that the travel bubble got suspended even before it began. There really isn't a point for us to go to Hong Kong. We don't exactly have pressing business in the city. We don't want to get sick, and Singapore residents definitely don't want to get sick in another country. 

No comments: