Saturday, March 06, 2021

Pig's Stomach & Innards Soup at Cheng Mun Chee Kee


Stopped by Cheng Mun Chee Kee (正文志記豬什湯大王) for a late lunch. There're two of these shops, and a whole backstory as to why they split and which is better. One is Authentic Man Chee Kee (正正文志記豬什湯大王) on 207 Jalan Besar Road, and the other is this Cheng Man Chee Kee on 24 Foch Road.

We don't care which one we go to. It doesn't really make a difference to us unless we want the braised pork rice at the Jalan Besar branch, and their bigger portions good for three to four persons. Today, the Foch Road eatery was fine since they offer smaller portions, which are perfect for two persons. 

The man ordered the signature pig's organs soup (豬什湯). I asked for only the pig's stomach in my soup (豬肚湯). I'm not particularly fond of pork unless it has been thoroughly marinated and treated. For pig offal, I only eat the stomach, and nothing else. Heh. The stomach was nicely cleaned and sliced thin. I liked it! The soup was okay. But it isn't as peppery as I would have liked. The chilli paste was a nice enough dip, but it wasn't even spicy. A Chinese chap chye (羅漢齋) that was super light on fermented tofu, and bok choy, plus a small plate of steamed minced meat with salted fish made it a filling meal.

Neither the man or I batted an eyelid at having a bowl of piping hot soup for lunch. You've got to be seriously Asian to be able to uhhh stomach hot soups on a searing 34°C afternoon. Hahahaha. What we refused to do, was to join the 10-person-long queue for coffee round the corner at Chye Seng Huat or Apartment. That time spent on waiting in the queue is something I don’t want to waste. I’d rather go home to get the caffeine fix and chill out with Choya.

No comments: