Thursday, April 01, 2021

This Last Bits of the Northeast Monsoon

I used to love thunderstorms. I still quite like them, but I don't welcome them now. They scare the bejeezus out of Choya, and it results in her anxiety intensifying, and there’s a chance she loses all bladder control, depending on the time of the day. It's not so much of the rain; it's the anticipation of the thunder that comes along in a storm. She's terrified of thunder. Our thunderstorms get fiercer each time, and the thunder simply doesn't stop till hours later. 

Thanks to a three-hour thunderstorm, I didn't get much sleep last night. Luckily I checked the weather forecast and decided to sleep early, just in case. I got in three hours of sleep before I got woken up. Ah well. The dog's needs come first, always. 

I know when I'm a full-on dog-momma when I... 

  • woke up immediately when the dog tapped my side of the bed at 2am.
  • got peed on by a frightened dog at 3am when an extra loud thunderclap sizzled. Didn’t bat an eyelid, but simply cleaned up the drops on the floor and even had the energy to soak my pants in laundry liquid.
  • took a cushion in to sit with the dog in the toilet because that's her 'safe place'. She's usually fine shivering alone in there. But she was so terrified of the continuous thunder recently hat she wanted me to be around. So I napped there too.
  • fell back asleep in the bed asap within a minute till the alarm went off at 6.20am.
  • took the dog out in the subsiding rain for a pee before sending her up the school bus at 7.15am.
  • sent out a completed piece of work at 9.45am, still made it to the gym for an 11am HIIT class, and lunch with the girlfriend after.

I had a good sleep run for almost two months. Slept through the night happily, then along with the monsoon rain band moving closer to the equator, the 'dry period' of the monsoon ended, and these stupid thunderstorms returned. Met Service informs us that this rain band is known as the 'Madden-Julian Oscillation'. 

Arrrrgh. Whatever. Once this Northeast monsoon recedes, the typhoon season comes along, and then Southwest monsoon moves in; tropical rains will still be fierce in between. As it is, I severely lack sleep. I don't do well not sleeping at least eight hours a night. I sleep soundly and sleep comes easy, but I still hate being woken up to do momma-duty. Dohhhhh. I'd better enjoy my sleep whenever I can! 

Look at THIS face. 

2 comments:

D said...

my pup was not afraid of thunderstorm before, but as she grows she's now starting to get anxious during a thunderstorm too.

The Famous Kitchen: that's our go-top restaurant when it's just 2-4 of us on weekends/peak dining hours without any reservations anywhere, they'll always have a small table available immediately at that branch.

imp said...

Acck. i hope she learns to find a hiding spot to feel safer.

waaahh! very cool that you can get a table asap. for us, it's almost 40-minute drive up, so we don't dare to go without a reservation. oof.