Tuesday, May 11, 2021

A Nicely Steamed Dragon Tiger Grouper


Booked Mother's Day dinner at Long Beach at Robertson Quay. This isn't my preferred seafood restaurant, and I most certainly wouldn’t come here with the friends. But we come with the parentals because it's conveniently located (so parentals wouldn't get lost), and importantly, it takes dogs at their outdoor tables.  

I merrily ordered stir-fried qing long vegetables (royale chives, 清炒青龙菜) for myself. Sometimes it's hard to share food with the parentals because we have very different tastebuds. They tend to order the same dishes at different restaurants. We don't. We have to gently remind them each time that when they're (being) nice to tell us to order what we want from the menu, they tend not to want to eat it or they don't like it. So it's much easier to order what everyone prefers to eat instead of doing this polite dance and we end up with dishes that nobody really wants. Nowadays, I no shy. I declare exactly what I want to eat. Otherwise, I'd be obliged to eat things that I don't want to eat or leave the table hungry. 

We didn't over order. Hopefully the parentals had enough to eat. Fried baby squids and sambal kangkong. Steamed jasmine rice for them, and none for us. They didn't want the hassle of peeling crabs, so the man ordered them a claypot crab mee sua. Dessert came in the form of mango sago or coconut jelly something and a durian-something. Dessert wasn't for me anyway.

I wouldn't mind a fish that night, but the restaurant didn't have turbot. It had many groupers on the menu. The server suggested a Dragon Tiger Grouper (龙虎班). Many groupers nowadays are bred hybrids. The popular Dragon Tiger Grouper (龙虎班) is one such farmed hybrid that many restaurants serve. I'm fine with that. I very much prefer it over other types of seabass. Ordered a 800-gram fish and to our relief, on a busy Mother's Day evening, the fish arrived nicely steamed Hong-Kong-style. I happily ate that and picked the bones clean. 

No comments: