Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Phytoplankton for Choya

I used to take fish oil capsules, then it became krill oil capsules. It was just one of those things that the parents and grandparents forced me to take, especially when I had so many allergies as a child. Like those spoonfuls of Scott's cod liver oil, which were damn gross. I refused to take it. Pills were a no-no too. The adults soon realized that I very much prefer capsules. 

As an adult, I don't particularly bother about supplements except the basic ones, say, multivitamins and such. I stopped fish oil. Although I was a bit skeptical of bioavailability, some vitamins seem harmless or even necessary. So I continued with them until my ob-gyn took a look at my bloodwork and told me to go off supplements unless it's Vitamin C or probiotics. 

So for Choya, I take the same approach towards supplements — the fewer the better. I most certainly wouldn't give her fish or krill oil. They turn rancid so quickly, and sourcing fish for supplements creates dead zones in the oceans. It's not ocean-friendly. Phytoplankton kept popping up as a 'superfood'. I mulled over phytoplankton for the longest time. Like, for a full year. I was hesitant because I wanted to understand the science behind it, not just subscribe to trends or in support of environmental sustainability. 

When Choya was injured, I immediately considered her post-surgery nutrition. The nature of the injury/wound meant that she would require tons of protein and amino acids to grow new skin and for tissue repair, and reduce overall inflammation. Probiotics would be needed to balance out all the meds, especially the antibiotics. I needed antioxidants and supplements, but I didn't need junk or a truckload of them. That's unhelpful and confusing to her GI tract. Her nutrition should mainly be ingested from her whole foods. But phytoplankton. It's a single-cell plant. I don't know which species it is, but I assume commercial ones grown on land would be common autotrophs. 

I took the plunge and bought a bottle of Phyto Synergy from Adored Beast. It holds 45 servings. If this would hasten the body's healing process, I'd take a chance. Bottled phytoplankton comes in a powder form, in green, with a rich mineral smell of the sea. I love it! Hahaha. I certainly don't expect it to work miracles. Nothing ever happens that way unless the true hand of God is at work. The phytoplankton should work in tandem with fresh and whole foods, meds and the current state of the body's immune system. 

I prayed that the year of balancing her diet would have strengthened her immune system to get her through this injury. Her healing speed is superb. I know dogs are hardy, but I've forgotten exactly how hardy they are. Her appetite, lack of nausea and solid poop tells me that her digestive system is okay. While it took a hard hit from the general anesthesia and antibiotics, it remained stable. The rate of healing in a matter of 10 days tells me that she has been blessed with good genes, and I'm doing something right with her food and the added 'supplements'. I'm sticking to this ratio and I'm not going to muck around with the formula. 

One dinner.
A dog's nutrition is balanced over the week, not in a matter of single meals. 

No comments: