Friday, July 02, 2021

Yukhoe at Chang Korean Charcoal BBQ


Stopped by Chang Korean Charcoal BBQ for dinner. Hadn’t had Korean food in a while, so the man was pleased to have new flavors pop up. He loves his gochuchang and kimchi. It was a rainy cloudy day, totally conducive to sitting outdoors (sheltered) for a meal.

Chang has been around for years at the Dempsey area. Depending on incumbent chefs, the quality of food has seen its fair share of ups and downs. Currently, it seems fine. Also, always grill your own meats. The servers wouldn’t know how you would want the meats done. Tonight, we skipped the grill and meats. I wasn’t in the mood for those. I’m not super keen on Korean cuisine generally, although I really love Korean vegetarian meals, especially those at the temples. I usually end up liking the ban-chan more than the mains. I like Korean food about as much as I like Korean films or long-form dramas. *sniggers  

Ordered easy dishes. Yukhoe was a must for the man. The restaurant does their version with seasoned beef, pear, cucumber, pine nuts, garlic and a raw egg. Very appetizing. Tha man ordered a soondubu jjigae that came with rice for his main, and couldn’t resist a pan-fried oyster pancake with lotus root and pickled radish. Yup, he ate all that. I wasn’t keen to share seafood or shellfish.

I stuck to my boring order of mul naengmyeon. Chang’s current version is pretty good. It was quite a generous portion. I ate it all and drank up the beef broth. Mmmmm. That bottle of Pellong Ale by Jeju Beer Company was perfect to wash down all the food! The cold pumpkin sweet tea served at the end of the meal was a surprise. A tad sweet, but I had a mouthful, just for fun.

No comments: