Thursday, August 19, 2021

Kumquat & Lemon Snowskin


If I want to eat mooncakes, I'll buy them for myself. Over the years, the boxes of mooncakes that come in as gifts have diminished — a good thing because I keep telling corporate outfits and acquaintances not to send me mooncakes because I don't eat it. They keep sending me mooncakes that I don't like — those traditional baked Cantonese mooncakes lor. Ugh. I can't get over how cloying they are. I tend to prefer savory items, and I love those Yunnan mooncakes that are virtually impossible to find in Singapore. 

What I do like- are the snowskin mooncakes. (冰皮月餅) But even so, I'm soooo particular about the flavors. I don't fancy the much-raved about champagne truffle snowskin. No chocolate, no truffles, no rose, no lychee, no pandan and no black sesame. I wouldn't mind matcha or some longjing green tea filling with chrysanthemum but few restaurants do it with thick and bitter. Ironically, this meant that most snowskin offerings out there don't suit my palate. Muahahahah. 

This year, I was rather taken by Jiang Nan Chun's Kumquat and Lemon snowskin. It sounded so good. Picked up a box for myself, and a box of Mao Shan Wang durian snowskin for the man, and a Hazelnut Royaltine Chocolate for the BFF. I didn't bother with the Bird's Nest with Custard. Since there was an early bird discount, and I could just pre-order online and simply pick them up, it was super convenient to also buy a few boxes for the old folks who like the traditional baked white lotus paste with double yolk versions. 

My snowksin mooncakes were tiny, no more than 1.5 inches in width and height. Yay! They're in such an ideal size. Literally bite-sized; very manageable. I wasn't going to eat all of them at a go. I would eat ONE. The rest went into the freezer. When I took a bite of the Kumquat and Lemon, I didn't regret it for one bit. I'm not into the custard, but the center was tangy! It was EVERYTHING that I expected of it. It wasn't cloying. It was absolutely delightful. Superb. 

No comments: