Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Thai Woven Fabric Bandanas

The dog has one neck, but I seem to have amassed quite a collection of bows and bandanas for her. Some are new and I'll let them remain unopened and unused. Those come into great use as gifts for other dogs when I don't have time to wait for the maker to sew them. Heh. Bows are easy because I don't have to think about neck sizes or embroidered names. 

I've been wanting to get some bandanas made from Thai woven fabrics, and the Northern Thai dresses for the dog. (I really miss Thailand — the friends, the food and the vibes.) But obviously I've been procrastinating. Then I came across two brands that met my needs. One is based in Thailand, and the other is based in Singapore. I would have simply ordered from an unknown Thai label, but since I didn't mind some of the designs, I ordered a few. Bought three from WalkieHolic and two from Boss & Olly since they just launched a new collection of Thai woven fabric bandanas. However, in my defense, two of those bandanas have since gone out to the friends' dogs. 

I think WalkieHolic's brand owner lives in London, but has a contact in Thailand who will arrange for the supply of fabrics and the sewing, as well as shipping out to customers. They source from Tohsang Cotton Village and Wisdomative

I'm not so sure about WalkieHolic's quality control or the designs. The fabric and sewing are neat, as expected, but whether there's one button or two or three buttons on a bandana seems arbitrary. I'd prefer two or three for it to be adjustable. Out of the three bandanas ordered, one is smaller than the stated 11"-14". It seems to be at a max of 11" instead. It's definitely smaller than the other two that are in the right size of 11"-14". So I'm sure someone packed it a smaller size but the size card stated it right. The brand indicated they would be stocking up in Singapore and I could do an exchange in a few weeks when stocks come in. I hope they would. Otherwise I'd have to get a tailor to do an extension for the buttons. Zzzzz. 

Boss & Olly's fabrics are sourced from Chiang Mai, and sewn in Singapore. Their quality control is tight, and I couldn't be happier with the three buttons on each bandana to allow for adjustment of sizes so that it either sits tighter or looser on the dog. Their cut and my preferred sizing S fit Choya perfectly, and the colors are rather pleasing to me. You know I can't stand prints or patterns or anything complicated overall. It's still a tad jarring, tbh. Hahaha.  Choya seems comfortable in the bandanas. They don't restrict her movements. She's fine lying down, rolling around or running about wearing them. 

No comments: