Thursday, September 09, 2021

Grilled Pork Neck :: คอหมูย่าง


Happiness is discovering the best iteration of Northeastern Thai cuisine's grilled pork neck (คอหมูย่าง, kor moo yangamong Thai restaurants in Singapore. Most eateries and restaurants in Singapore do pork neck fatty. I don't fancy that. I love the version that uses lean meat. 

I pick mine in Little Elephant Thai Bistro's gorgeous plate. Pork neck itself is a fatty cut, along with the collar that is at the tip of the neck. Somehow, this restaurant finds the leanest portions to do their slices. I totally appreciate that. I can't veer away from ordering it each time I stop by for dinner. It's a side dish, but I love having just this, and maybe an omelette plus a bit of rice as a meal. 

Every version of grilled pork neck comes with its own dipping sauce. I'm not hot about it. I don't particularly care for most dipping sauces for this dish. I usually prefer to slather chilli padi and fish sauce over the meat, omelette (don't tell me how oil goes in) and everything else. I'm so pleased that our regular local Thai does grilled pork neck the best (imho) among many restaurants so that I could continue having meals there for as long as they keep the standards. 

Their som tam and som tam mamuang are middling. Their other noodle dishes are weak, even the phad thai, and especially the stir-fried noodle with spicy drunken seafood. So skip all those, and stick to having rice as carbs. Currently, the restaurant only offers steamed white jasmine rice, no brown. Okaay, that works nicely with the curries, although I very much prefer an option for brown rice because I go there often. During the last three rounds of restaurant closures in the pandemic lockdown, I ordered loads of takeout from Little Elephant

No comments: