Saturday, October 30, 2021

Chicken Salad for Breakfast

All breakfasts should be assembled. I'm not that big on shrooms or sausages in the morning. I always prefer assembling food over cooking. Zzzzz. Okay, eggs are the exception. You can just do eggs on the stove in any way. However, I'm still not into breakfast if I'm not on a hiking trip, or stuck in a full work day with no mid-day meal breaks.

The man is a breakfast person. He has seasonal and rotational preferences when it comes to breakfast. Easy things at home mean Chinese steamed fluffy white chicken buns, siew mai, or sardines on toast. To that, avocados work too, as well as a chicken salad. The man has no objections to chicken in any form, as long as it's done right. Chicken breasts are his default because he likes the meat lean and with no skin.

Now, this chicken salad that the man likes. I could sous vide chicken breast for the dog and the man to share. But I really prefer not to handle raw chicken as far as possible. However, on many days, I buy a whole small honey-glazed roast chicken from Cold Storage. The point of this roast chicken is to be shredded into breakfast. It's basic food. No gourmet treatment necessary. For $4.90, this supermarket roast chicken hits a spot. This is a total life hack. 

The supermarket quartered it for me so that it's easier to manage. I don't bother heating up the chicken. It's nicer cold. By the time I'm done with the salad, it's no longer fridge-cold. All good. I hand-shred the chicken breast, and assemble a breakfast salad. There would be a base of greens, either spinach or rocket or a mix of both. Then I add all the toppers and toss them all in. That would be whatever I have in the fridge. 

  • olive oil
  • shallots
  • cherry tomatoes
  • sweet peppers
  • Japanese cucumbers
  • a dash of Worcestershire Sauce
  • coarse black pepper, sea salt and paprika
  • hot sauce (optional) 

Drizzle and serve. Made one the other morning for the man to fill the stomach before he went in for a marathon four hours of calls. On such a day, being hangry would be unbearable. He loves it because of all the flavors in there. It's hearty and filling, yet light and clean enough. 

No comments: