Saturday, November 06, 2021

Solo-Pawrenting


It's been a week of solo-pawrenting. Wow. It has been a while since I've done that. The man hadn't done many work trips since Choya joined our home. She hasn't had to deal with us both being away and be placed at boarding either. (That one trip didn't count because she was with us for barely two months.) She would feel it keenly now when leisure travel comes back into fashion. 

There hasn't been anything dramatic. Whewww. She's a darling with me at restaurants and cafes, and we've been getting in lots of sun at the parks to balance out the dreary afternoon rains. She definitely misses her Daddy, but her appetite's normal and she is eating well, so we're good. 

I have the sweetest friends. The man too. They check in with me when he's traveling, and see if I need help, food, alcohol, or a lift to somewhere. I'm usually okay on my own. Of course I'll go meet them if schedules match. They don't have to specially make time for me during the length of time the man is away. But if I should need help, I will HOLLER. I not shy one. We do have good friends whom we keep close throughout the pandemic months, and these are really 'friends for life'. Friendship is a two-way street. We must make the effort to keep in touch.

If you tell me that solo-pawrenting is nothing compared to solo-parenting, you can fuck off kindly. Someone told me that. I was very triggered. Hello, did I even begin to compare them? Did I say that they're the same thing? Do these caregiving duties require the same skills or can be judged on the difficulty scale? 

If you tell me "I'm a mother of three! I raised kids. I can definitely look after a dog for a week." Erm... NO. By that logic, that means YOU CANNOT. I wouldn't trust Choya with you, and you wouldn't trust me with your kids. Good intentions do not translate into good and needful caregiving. 

Dogs and babies/kids. FFS, these two aren't in the same universe. I don't find kids cute. I don't find all dogs cute. I'm partial to only some dogs and some kids. They're not similarly cute. The caregiving responsibilities are vastly different. Don't be stupid. I don't compare, I won't compare, and one would be extremely short-sighted to do so.

The only thing I regret is not getting my Class 3 so that I can take Choya out in our own car. We get around by GrabPet. GrabPet is convenient enough. It evens out the market prices for pet transport. We've met nice drivers and the grouchy ones. I especially dislike those who insist that Choya must sit on the floor. Hello. NO. I bring a mat for her. If you have an issue with my mat, I'm happy to use yours (Grab-issued). It's not my problem if you're too lazy to get out to lay out the mat at the back for the dogs. It's actually INCLUDED in the price of the ride. Then I pay a $14 base-fare for a 'GrabPet' FOR WHAT AH. 

No comments: