Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Patchwerk 3.0 Body Rhythms


Popped in to catch 'Patchwerk 3.0 Body Rhythms' by The Dad Bots Collective. There were loads of modular synths and electronic effects used. I certainly don't know what to do with them. The realm of electro-acoustic compositions, sound installations and noise music isn't something I understand. Watching the musicians perform and being immersed in it was definitely super enjoyable. 

The first performance by One White Raven and Sonia Kwek. Kenny created the rhythm on his synths. Sonia, the dancer was wired up to the modular machines to create a bio-feedback of her movements. There were visuals, but that didn't come from the body movements. The visuals were separately created, while taking the outlines from the stage movements. Make of it what you will. I enjoyed it. The intensity rose with the dancer's intensity. I thought they were fairly in sync. She was obviously very practiced at shifting the cables around as she stretched, jerked, jumped and swung limbs around.  

One White Raven and Sonia Kwek.

The duo of Black Zenith lugged out a drum set to accompany the synths. Wonderful. Synths are layered, but when actual percussion by way of drums is added in, it fills out the space even more. I totally enjoyed their set. They had visuals too, but I kinda skipped watching it because it got too dizzying for me after a while. 

It was a gorgeous two hours of music and admiring the creativity of the performers. There was an improv jam after, but we didn't stay. It felt so good to be out at a gig, feeling the beats and having the music reverberate around the head. I even got to wear the earplugs which I haven't taken out for two years.  

Black Zenith.

No comments: