Saturday, January 29, 2022

The Embark DNA Profile for Choya


Choya had a DNA profile done as a newborn pup, which came to me along with her lineage certification and both her parents' DNA profiles. Now that she's four years old, I decided to do another. Let's see if there're any advances in technology or if anything has shifted in her genetic profile that would see DNA tweaks and warn me of certain health conditions that she is prone to, and not just what her breed might have overall. Got Choya a DNA test from Embark. Opted for the 'Purebred' kit. The kit arrived soon enough. Registered her kit with the lab. Swabbed her and sent it back to the lab in Boston, MA, USA.

I completely forgot that our useless SingPost wouldn't carry this package unless I got a letter from a lab for customs declaration, blah blah blah. SingPost, you really suck. I used FedEx instead. Hassle-free and frankly, more efficient. The cost to send the kit back to the lab is cheaper via FedEx, and it's more dependable than SingPost. There're two local labs who could do DNA profiling too, and not just for medical reasons. On ttis note, I think humans should stick to clinical DNA testing and not randomly sign up to third party providers for genetic testing. 

Embark proudly labels itself as the research partner of Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. Embark's co-founder Adam Boyko is an assistant professor at its veterinary science college. The college just named their newest facility of canine health center as 'The Cornell Margaret and Richard Riney Canine Health Center', thanks to a $30 million donation from Margaret and Richard Riney.  

I'm pleased with how Embark kept me updated when the lab received her swab, and that they were mid-way through running tests. The test results returned in a month. I'm vaguely disappointed...... Although I know these labs offer and how the results should read, especially if Choya already had hers done. 

It's a regular DNA profile which doesn't deviate from her original puppy. DNA profiles would never change. At least it's a a profile that I've seen. Her genetic line is healthy, with no known genetic mutations for now. At four years old, nothing much has changed. I can see her maternal line (which is the profiles of a zillion other dogs), and in this case, without her sire's DNA, they can't accurately link anything much. 

DNA profiles can't quite determine behavior yet. At least, for purebred dogs. That's something breeders do offer, and ethical breeders would know their dogs in their kennel and breed accordingly. For mixed breeds, perhaps one could attribute certain behavioral traits to whichever lines that are stronger. I'm forever thankful that Choya's breeders are gems, and her temperament is gorgeous. Her temperament takes after both her sire and dam. If only I could see how Choya's litter-mates or other siblings are doing. That would tell me so much more about her. 🧡🦊

No comments: