Saturday, February 05, 2022

A Merry Lunch at Miraku


V bought me my first birthday meal at Miraku! We opted for a lunch so that we could linger over sake and chat. She knows. I enjoy the food at this restaurant quite a bit, so I was thrilled to be here again to check out the flavors of the week/month. For some reason, I prefer eating at Japanese sushi restaurants with friends instead of work associates or acquaintances. It's a meal I know I'll enjoy, and having it with faeriefolk over heartfelt conversation make each visit awesome.

There weren't much shiny fish today. But all the familiar favorites were trotted out — black sea bream, kinmedai and such. V and I both skipped the tuna, except for those already done as negitoro. I didn't bother to take photos of all nine pieces of sushi. Hungry. Ate them fast. However, I requested for the chef to roll the sushi with less rice than usual. I don't have the stomach space to fit in everything in this 7-course sushi set at lunch. 

I wanted to skip the negitoro and sashimi rice bowl, but they said they would make a tiny one for me. I stared at it. It looked like the usual portions. Arrrgh. Found some space to stuff it in. The beef and uni were a robust combination, and added a layer of flavors to the clean taste of the sushi. But because it was done in moderation, it was welcome. That wagyu sukiyaki beef with onsen egg was gorgeous. Not regrets ordering that. Dessert was an easy yuzu sorbet and jelly. Perfect. Nothing overly sweet and not wagashi that I can never quite appreciate. 

The restaurant had done away with two seatings at lunch. Hurrah. That was a crazy mad rush for both service crew and diners. One seating made it so much more relaxing. We had no afternoon meetings. We won't be hungover if we just split a bottle of sake. That would go beautifully with the meal. By the end of two hours, we polished off a 720ml bottle and another 330ml bottle. We're such alcoholics. #WINNING 

(I often walk further across to Cross Street Exchange to use the public toilets. The public toilet situation at Nankin Row is gross in the nights. Which makes me not want to drink more.)

I have to separate out all these birthday meals because, stomach space and indigestion. I can't do consecutive meals for sure. This year, I don't even want to do consecutive days of 'good food'. I'll spread them out. This February, maybe I'll do one meal a day and have a scoop of yoghurt with a pinch of granola at lunch or something. Heh.

No comments: