Saturday, February 12, 2022

Piu M with the BFF

All these little Japanese fusion restaurants and izakaya all insist on a drinking policy for diners. If you don't drink (alcohol), then they literally put it out there to say that they don't welcome you. Nobuya is such, Bistrot Etroit is another (but it's Japanese-French omakase fusion, and I cannot deal with that)Piu M at Fortune Center is the same, but I like it because, Italian — pasta, uni and bottarga, et cetera. Hurhurhurhur. Popped in for dinner.  

The BFF took me to Piu M to celebrate my 44th year of existence on earth. This means we've known each other for 38 years, and are still firm friends. Literally family. WOW WOW WOW. I love the food. Gyoza, and uni and bottarga pasta. Mmmmmm. Comforting! The man was in love with the chicken liver pâté and beef tongue stew; the next day, he watched many youtube clips of Japanese beef tongue stew prep and reading up about Japanese kitchens’ penchant for liberally using demi-glace (espagnole). Hahaha.

Chef Jun Matsubara and his wife Jun run the show at Piu M. The tiny restaurant seats approximately 16 with social distancing. We took a corner (countertop) table next to the wall to ourselves. It was my first visit. I love how casual it all feels, truly like the izakaya that we stop by on our way home. I wouldn't even care about the 'demand' for all diners to get an alcoholic drink, because I would, anyway. 

The man couldn't deal with any more sake. He asked for beer. Hahahah. BFF and I polished off a 720ml by ourselves, which was a piece of cake. She is a certified sake sommelier and she still makes me pick my bottle all by myself, with no advice and no help. Pfffft. I totally approve of the Piu M's sake menu. Got an absolutely delightful bottle of Azumaichi Junmai Ginjo from Gochouda Brewery (東一 純米吟醸、五町田酒造株式会社). I love this brewery's barrels. 

No comments: