Thursday, March 10, 2022

Luxating Patella Grade II


When Choya joined the family and went in for a full medical + spay in 2019, her doctors had flagged that she likely has issues with both her knees — luxating patella Grade II. However, there wasn't any x-ray done. Bearing that advice in mind, I didn't sign her up for agility or obstacle courses, in case they hasten the degeneration of the patella. But I've not done anything about it, beyond strengthening her hind legs. Three years on, the time has come to see if these daily walks and exercises have worked for her, and what else could be done to help ease inflammation and pain. 

Since her first month with us, I've put her on some leg strengthening moves by way of pilates movement principles. I watch her like a hawk when she walks, trots, runs and jump. I'm anal over her swim sessions in school (back then), and on some days, requested for weights and a life jacket to add on resistance so that her legs don't have to kick too hard. I don't bother taking her swimming outside of that since it's not exactly hydrotherapy. She hasn't started limping or clearly favoring the hind limbs. But to my untrained eye, I can already discern a slightly off trotting gait, and her iliopsoas muscle seem to be aching a little more nowadays. 

I don't think she is in too much pain, yet. I've maintained Grade II for three years, but I'm not a canine therapist. Before Choya ruptures her cranial cruciate ligament or early osteoarthritis sets in, I decided to stop procrastinating and get Choya a first consultation with RehabVet Centre. There wouldn't be time to ask all the questions I wanted in this first 60-minute session. So I read up as much as I could before. The clinic's website also offers loads of information, and what clients can expect within ten weeks of the non-invasive treatment program, barring any unforeseen accidents and such. 

The girl didn't mind being handled. She was extremely suspicious of the staff. She trembled and was a tad afraid of an expected injection. But that didn't happen. So she relaxed and allowed the physiotherapist and the doctor to check out out. I brought treats — cheese on an ice pack. But I think I don't need to use that the next round. She's fine with Dr Sara and Yen. 

Choya was placed on a Stance Analyzer to measure her weight bearing load on each limb. The attending doctor and physiotherapist also checked her gait, range of motion of hind limbs, and measured (with a goniometer) her maximum extension and flexion angle in her stifle and tarsal joints. Her left hind limb maxed out at 150°, and her right at 160°. Hmmmmm.

The assessment was followed by a 30-minute session of ultrasound and electro therapy. The girl was bemused, but deigned to stand quietly to allow treatment to continue. She was definitely not in pain; she likely felt some release in muscle tension in her quadriceps, and the easing of spasms. She just didn't like the gel in her fur. Hahaha. I gave her a thorough wipe-down when we came home. 

Lovely! These are the treatments I can't duplicate at home. I know they work on humans. So the science should work for canines too. We'll continue with these non-invasive treatments for 10 weeks to ease any mild inflammation, muscle strains, spasms and tightness. After that, we'll take a break from therapy, then return to it. Meanwhile, parallel to the treatments, I'll carry on with the specific exercises for her hind legs, adjusting them to factor in the physiotherapist's advice. I'm determined to maintain this Grade II forever, to be honest. 

No comments: