Friday, April 08, 2022

Seed Beads from Eden+Elie


The BFF gave me a birthday present in the form of a necklace from Eden+Elie which I absolutely loved. The weight of the three 'pendants' or bulbs is just right, hanging heavy to secure its design, but not such a burden that cuts into the back of the neck. The adjustable chains made it super practical for my wardrobe. 

I like the necklace so much that I went browsing at the website, and bought two pairs of earrings from the brand, one in hues to match (I think the brand named it 'oyster') and one in my favorite semi-precious stone of lapis lazuli. 

The necklace is in a minimalist design. Little capsules. However, the earrings are in a tad more complicated settings. A little nyonya, a little ethnic, and very original. So I wasn't sure if I really liked those. I stared at them for a few days before deciding on two easy pairs. Luckily these two pairs of earrings came in designs and colors that I like, and will wear. 

When the earrings arrived, I scrutinized them. The earrings are delicate but not that dainty. They're beautiful. The handiwork is impeccable. Wow! These earrings aren't small in diameter, but they're fairly light. If I keep to wearing them within four hours, the earholes wouldn't flare. 

Eden+Elie is a Singapore brand, and it's also a social enterprise that has partnered with Autism Resource Center Singapore to train artisans to produce their jewelry. The seed beads used are from Miyuki, an old-school reputable Japanese manufacturer. A social enterprise isn't exactly a charity. It's a mover in the economy that gives back to the community.  

A few weeks later, I then read this nicely written article on CNA about the brand. Awesome. In this dreary world with ultra depressing headlines, a piece of grounded and local news like this is very welcomed — people doing good, making a difference on the ground, to the local community, and to our country, our independent nation. Here's a recent interview with the co-founders of the brand hosted by DBS Foundation

No comments: