Monday, May 09, 2022

'I'm Farting Carrots'


Had to scan through Jana Rajan's illustrated compilation of 'Common Misheard Song Lyrics' published in The New Yorker on May 1, 2022. The writer's got some good ones, and the illustrations are rather fun. 

I laughed and laughed. After all, I did assume a song's chorus refrain is 'Come on Camellia!' for the longest time. I'm one of those who can't quite catch song lyrics. It's not the accent. It's a song — the accents are irrelevant. It's probably the rhythm of it that puts ideas in my head. 

I don't particularly put a lot of effort into listening to a song. I don't work in the music production industry and it's not my job to scrutinize lyrics, and I most certainly don't bother googling for it. I focus a tad more on melody, or the lack of it and the pacing. The singer, isn't the most important part of the band. So while I can appreciate some recording and mastering expertise, I don't particularly care about song lyrics unless they happen to be that brilliant or that offensive.   

"Popadam Peach"???!!! No way! Hahahah. There're many summary pages on these 'commonly misheard song lyrics'. Cute. Well, I've sort of read them before. It's just fun to read them again. We read too many serious writing and opinions nowadays. Whatever happened to reading for fun? Or are we being bombarded by too much information popping up everywhere?

Stacker wrote a long article about it; Insider pointed out Taylor Swift's 'Blank Space' is heard as 'All the lonely Starbucks lovers' instead of the right line as "Got a long list of ex-lovers". Heh. The clips attached to the articles are quite funny. NME has a list too. People seem to especially like a city built on sausage rolls, and warm sausage tea. 

So that 'Camellia' lyric in a song I misheard all those years ago. Don't google. Have you figured out what song it really is? 

This will be Choya's anthem.

No comments: