Thursday, May 19, 2022

Offshore Bar & Grill


I wouldn’t have gone all the way to Offshore Bar & Grill for dinner but for them being pet-friendly, and they’re currently partnering Whatthemutt.Pet to offer a ‘Happy Chow Feast’ for pets from 28 April to 31 July. The restaurant is donating 20% of their profits (from this menu) to their current adopted animal charity, Exclusively Mongrels.

For the pets’ ‘Happy Chow Feast’, diners could choose between three proteins of Norwegian salmon, wagyu beef and free-range chicken in three different plate sizes, of small, medium and large. The proteins come with sides of asparagus, sweet potato and carrot. I think the items should be all blanched. They’re not raw. I didn’t ask if cut of chicken is the thigh (a no-no) or the breast since I chose beef. I doubt the restaurant worked with a pet nutritionist to offer these plates of protein. I’m not asking for a balanced meal, but surely fatty cuts of meat shouldn’t be offered? 

My issue is, the restaurant only offers wagyu. That’s the worst type of beef possible. Why do people think shabu shabu pork belly or wagyu beef is healthy for dogs? These cuts are absolute triggers for pancreatitis! I attempted to tear off the fats to give Choya some bits of meat, but it was futile. It was simply wayyy too fatty. When I heated it up on the grill to eat it, I spat it out immediately. Nope. Gross. I normally never bother about wagyu. Yucks. The slices of sweet potato and carrots were grilled and eaten by humans.

If I wanted to support this endeavor and effort, I didn’t have options. The restaurant declined to take my money (as a donation to their cause) but not serve me the ‘Happy Chow Feast’. Neither could I buy a larger portion and get smaller than small servings. Haizzzzz. In this case, Choya’s entire portion of food tonight was kinda wasted. While she doesn’t exactly eat outside of the home, she would if she was hungry, and I deem the food suitable for her as a snack. To me, tonight’s wagyu beef was inedible, and I never feed her beef this fatty. The restaurant noticed our untouched wagyu beef, so I told them why.


For the humans, we kinda enjoyed it. We had to sit ‘indoors’ under the tarp shelter because it rained just before we got there. The restaurant closed off that section. The fake grass would have been too sodden for Choya anyway. (She’s a floor dog, not a chair or a pram dog.) I would have loved it out right by the water. Ah well. So the BBQ stench is stuck in hair and clothes. Hahaha. Now I see why Korean-syle BBQ is way more popular (but pricier). It was nice to be out in a restaurant so near the sea, and the vibes kinda felt like we were in Desaru, Kukup or Hua Hin.

Offshore Bar & Grill offers no a la carte menu. It’s priced at a minimum of $69++ per pax, and there would be additional table charges for more items. It’s a buffet-style dinner, and as hygienic as can be since items are kept in chillers and a server will retrieve desired items for diners. There're also cooked seafood buckets for $129++ good for two to three persons. 

The meats are middling, I suppose… It is a seafood restaurant after all. The beef and chicken satay were tasty. I was not hot about the pork belly used in all pork items marinated in terriyaki sauce or red curry. Whatever happened to lean pork? Is that not popular nowadays? The black pepper beef wasn't too fatty, but not great either. The man said the sausages were decent. He also liked the cooked items, and appreciated the fried rice for a bit of carbs.

I took a few skewers of mushrooms and corn. I liked those! The slices of ikan toman were fine too. The seafood items are indeed the highlight here. I had to pop an antihistamine in order to eat anything here. So I was very pleased with the grilled seabass. It was beautifully grilled. We would return to try that seafood bucket, but I'd skip ordering the food for Choya since there isn't a point, unless the restaurant accepts my 'donation' on the order chit. 

No comments: