Saturday, May 21, 2022

Old Tiong Bahru Bak Kut Teh

Bak Kut Teh (or BKT for short) per se as a meal oddly doesn't appeal to me. Many can eat it for breakfast or brunch, and I'm like ????? It's way too filling. I don't mind having it for dinner though. And what I do like from the bak kut teh stalls, are the lean pork soup or the pork stomach soup. I don't want the ribs. The man is quite a fan of BKT, so I still end up having it (the soup) once in a while. 

We like the peppery clear soup style. We currently toggle between two stalls that offers BKT this way — Balestier Bak Kut Teh (馬里士他肉骨茶) at 365 and 369 Balestier Road, and Old Tiong Bahru Bak Kut Teh (老字號中峇魯肉骨茶) at 55 Seng Poh Road. They're conveniently located; it's easy to find parking lots nearby. The food is pretty decent, and the menu is varied enough have vegetables and other small items that I like. I've got nothing to complain about. 

That night, the man and I stopped by Tiong Bahru for BKT. He wanted his usual things, all of which I don't exactly appreciate. He wanted the ribs in soup, beancurd skin (tau gee), tau kwa, and salted vegetables. I don't quite know how to eat these salted vegetables. They taste funny. To me salted vegetables eaten like this or with congee and not used in soup (i.e. salted vegetables and duck soup) have gotta be like... Cantonese mui choi type, or go extremely salty like preserved olives (榄豉, 'laam si'). Teochew porridge's mui choi always taste damn weird to me, not quite what I want.

I wanted fish, and was happy that this stall offers steamed fish. We keep forgetting to ask for the 'market price' of the fish every time we order one. But so far, the prices are reasonable. Tonight I got a steamed pomfret in Teochew style. I think that was like $45 or $50. It was LOVELY. Perfectly steamed. Added on a bowl of pig stomach soup. Since I was hungry enough, I also had a bowl of steamed white rice. NOMS. That was oddly satisfying. 


Old Tiong Bahru Bak Kut Teh (老字號中峇魯肉骨茶)
55 Seng Poh Road #01-31 Singapore 160058
(At the corner shop facing Tiong Bahru Market)
Hours: 7am to 9pm daily, except Mondays and some public holidays.
T: +65 6223 3075

No comments: