Friday, May 27, 2022

Yunnan Baiyao (云南白药)

In the home medicine kit, I have the standard antiseptic powder, and then there's 'Yunnan Baiyao' (云南白药). For decades, I've always stocked a small tub of this herb in powder form. I always bring it when I travel. It's meant as emergency medicine to stem bleeding outfield. The powder can be ingested or it can be applied into a raw bleeding wound. 

As much as I'm wary of traditional Chinese medicine and its components because I have allergies to herbs,  and have ended up in the emergency room no thanks for prescribed TCM concoctions and herbal soups, this is the one herb that works for me. I totally trust in Yunnan Baiyao (YNBY), as long as the manufacturers don't punk us with sub-par quality ingredients. I didn't expect it to work for Choya too.

I never realized that Yunnan Baiyao made its way into veterinary science and has become an alternative medicine. Choya's doctor said she would prescribe Yunnan Baiyao on standby for me to stem potential severe gastrointestinal bleeding. She didn't know if I was receptive to it and was going to explain. I was like OMG, I know it! Gimme gimme gimme. Hahaha. 

It was on 'standby' because she didn't want me to use it till it was absolutely necessary. Four days in, and two days after seeing the doctor and getting subcuts of fluids, I decided that it was necessary for Choya to take it. She had purged enough for the toxins to be removed. She couldn't afford to lose more blood this way. Yunnan Baiyao was the singular thing that could stop the blood purge and shedding of lining. If administered at the right timing, just two capsules would control and stem the bleeding. And it did. After three doses (one capsule a day).  

These pills are given sparingly too. She gave me eight pills, in prescription dosage for the 7-kg dog. I used three, and stopped. We shall keep the rest of the pills. I never throw away medicine unless they're way expired. 

No comments: