Thursday, June 30, 2022

Seremban Siew Pau


Took Choya to visit Ryo. These two floofs are so silly. It has been less than a week since they saw each other, but they greeted each other like they've not met for a month. LOL Ryo is most comfortable at home, so we'd also pop by to say hello since Choya is perfectly fine staying at home with him too. 

N had hopped in to Malaysia last week and brought back a batch of Seremban siew bao (芙蓉燒包). She literally bought the box of bao in Seremban, and froze them. She thawed out four and heated them up for tea. N said that these bao taste the best when it's freshly baked and piping out. In this format of freezing and heating, it wouldn't do the filling or the crust justice. But that wasn't an issue for me. I've never eaten Seremban siew bao! I only have the Hong Kong style of baked BBQ pork buns for reference. 

Obviously I've never visited Seremban either. TBH, I'm woefully uneducated in Malaysian foods and its cities' local dishes because I've never bothered visiting Malaysia the moment I'm not required to. To that, I'm not interested in visiting the towns to eat whatever famous food items. I don't like durians enough to do that durian road trip either. I haven't stepped foot into Malaysia for a decade. I wouldn't be the expert of whether these bao are good. It all depends on whether you like them. Apparently Singapore has a stall selling it in Westgate Mall. Dunno if it would exist beyond this year

Ryo likes the crust of the siew bao. He wanted some; he lurked near us and got a few pieces of the crust. Ha! Choya came nosing at my plate. I offered a piece to Choya. She liked the smell of it better than the taste. She spat out the small bit of crust, and went to snooze in the corner. Dohhhhh. 

N was finally back in town for a bit before flying out again. It was a very good afternoon catching up with her. We could always talk while walking the dogs, but our attention is divided. We're mainly watching the floofs to make sure they don't eat random garbage off the ground or step into sharp edges. At home, we could relax and have the floofs play while keeping one eye on them. They sometimes squabble. LOL But at home, we could chat and eat mostly, and not worry too much. 

No comments: