Friday, September 16, 2022

Seafood Paofan


When we went over to W's and said we'd get lunch and bring over, she insisted on getting lunch instead. Aiyoh, this woman. She loves to feed us! I feel bad because it's always an effort to have people visit, play host and still feed them! So we told her to get the easiest stuff that's convenient for her to hop out and buy home. We got a lovely chocolate cake for dessert; W stopped by the Holland Drive kopitiam to get paofan (泡飯) from King of Pao Fan (泡飯王).

The man has never tried paofan and was curious about it. Paofan holds broth and seafood, so he was up for it. He had been lemming for seafood but I told him to stay off shellfish till his antibiotics cleared and his wounds aren't so raw anymore. He doesn't need the additional histamines and more stomach acid to irritate his gut before the omeprazole (gut soother) and antibiotics got a chance to work. His bowl totally hit a spot. Prawns and clams with bits of fried fish, and crisp fish skin.

I popped an antihistamine pill prior because that broth might trigger a rash. It's a seafood broth and it would definitely contain prawn heads. I'm less keen on paofan because it's got broth and rice. It's Teochew, and I don't quite fancy rice in soup. (It isn't congee.) I'm not hot about the crispy rice puffs and egg floss either. Although my bowl of broth plus rice and fried fish made for an easy lunch. The broth was surprisingly elegant, and the fried fish was decent. I loved having chilli padi with the meal. It was a tasty bowl. 

No comments: