Friday, September 30, 2022

The Hokkaido Yubari


Autumn heralds the arrival of many seasonal fruits. Gorgeous apples, persimmons, nashi, and even matsutake. Some fruits are worth its weight in gold. It's time to indulge in a bit of fruit-buying and perhaps eat a few grilled Pacific saury at the restaurants. 

Happiness is buying a carton of Hokkaido Yubari musk melons and sharing it with friends. Chilled musk melons are such a lovely dessert. It's great for this hot and humid + mad rainy weather too. If I do inhale sugar, I'll take the sugar from fruits any day over cakes or kueh and such. 

Could the man and I quaff a few melons on our own? OF COURSE. These melons arrived not quite ripe, and keep well in the fridge. I picked out the most unripe ones in the shipment to make up my carton. We could do three easily over two weeks. The dog could have a sliver if she wishes, but she isn't interested in fruits. She generally doesn't have a sweet tooth for fruits or vegetables. She prefers cheese and cream, goat's milk or yoghurt. 

Sliced up the first musk melon three days after purchase. It was still firm, but ripe enough to be eaten. I like it at this stage. (Like how I prefer crunchy peaches and persimmons) I'm so greedy. I can finish a melon all by myself. When it gets riper, it gets softer, and sometimes it tends to be mushy. People say they like the texture when they're able to use a spoon to eat the melon. Erm.... no thanks. The man likes it somewhere in the middle, so I usually select a rather ripe melon for him. 

No comments: