Wednesday, December 21, 2022

3-3-3 Pull-Ups ☑️


I had a personal fitness and strength goal to hit by the end of this year. I wanted to do 10 good pull-ups. No crazy fast, but controlled slow. I learnt how to activate and utilise the lats, traps and rhomboids to do it. After straining my elbows and biceps doing pull-ups too quickly, I learnt not to ever do that again.

I could do 10 pull-ups on the rings easily by October, but it doesn't count until I'm sure I can sustain it. So far, I have been able to do so. The requisite HIIT has been settled by Ritual this year. So at this gym, I wanted to be able to do their slow 3-3-3 pull-ups on the rings with ease — 3 seconds up, 3 seconds hold, 3 seconds down. 

Yesterday, I did it. ✔️

The gym's set of pull-ups asked for 3-3-3 X 3 sets X 40 seconds each. I know that my max is 12 in such slow sets. I didn't feel like pushing. I did 3 pull-ups a set, totaling an easy 9. The 30-minute workout was decent. Dunno about my heart rate. I still don't wear a watch that measures it. Now the problem is, I'm not sure I can do pull-ups on a horizontal bar this easily. Hahahaha. 

This year has been all about pilates and gyrotonic stretches, rotation and resistance. HIIT has been fulfilled by the low-commitment (in terms of membership rates/subscription) but effective-enough classes at Ritual. I'm not a fan of F45 or BFT types of HIIT. Even if I'm bored with Ritual, I'm not sure how I'd find an easy replacement. Fitness studios have sprouted like mushrooms. I can't have any classes that don't allow last minute cancellations; neither do I want to be tied in to an annual subscription package. The Megaformer would be a great workout. STRONG Pilates from Australia is apparently opening up in Singapore. It uses what the brand calls, Rowformers. It's similar to the Megaformer. We'll see how it goes. 

No comments: