Friday, January 06, 2023

Ryo's Done With His Staycation!


Ryo is done with his staycation at ours and has gone home! Whewwww. I am tired. Not exhausted, because I totally know what to expect (this is like his fourth staycation with us this year), but yes, it's not the easiest thing to have another dog stay with us for a week even. The effort expended to care for another floof is doubled. The vacuuming has to be done daily, and the floor has to be mopped every other day. And yes, he's slightly messier than Choya when he comes to meal times and drinking out of the water bowl. I need to get a bigger mat for the water bowl. And at the back of my mind is always which vet/clinic to go to in case of an emergency, especially dicey during the holiday season. When I offer or accept a dog for a staycation, that extends to being responsible for his health and potential medical bills too (choyyy),  so I do have to like a cat or a dog's pawrents/humans a fair bit.

These two are great together at home. Thank goodness. They’re soooo quiet till I could even forget that I've got two floofs at home. In the small flat, they found their respective corners to chill out at and swop around. They give each other space, they play a little, then they mostly chill out on their own. These house-trained floofs don't chew anything that they're not supposed to. They're fully toilet-trained and they're happy with three pees a day — two long walks and a short mid-day or bedtime pee break. We're lucky that the rains have abated and the thunderstorms aren't so ferocious anymore during this period. I'm mostly allowed to sleep through the night unless our neighbors make odd noises and Choya gets a tad nervous. 

Ryo's fussy with food and eating times. This dog doesn't live to eat. He eats to live. So far on staycation with us, he is comfortable, but he will only eat when he's really hungry, at 9pm or 11pm. Dohhhhh. At least he knows how to come to me to ask for food. He's still not food-motivated. Training goes on regardless. I'm rather stoked that he will abide by my commands. (The man, not so, he pushes his luck with him.) Ryo still doesn't get restaurants and chilling out, but he remembers that this is done with us, so he tries. He's scared of the dark and odd noises. We kept our meals short, or break it up with a short stroll in between to calm him down. He doesn't eat out often in the nights with his pawrents, so we don't need to totally acclimatize him, but he should get some practice that doesn't stress him out. 

He's still anxious on long walks outdoors, but I pull him along anyway. Short leash and walk fast. Trot! So that he has no time to think and be more anxious! Keeping a 16-kg dog in check along a crowded Orchard Road was quite an arm workout. Thankfully he walks better than Choya in this way. He does very well with structured walks. 

Ryo did admirably in the crowded Apple store. We didn't go there for fun, of course. I went to collect my new 14" zhng-ed-up Macbook Pro and AirPods, and the man wanted to buy a charger. He was nervous, but kept it check. Of course us humans had to do their part to protect him. I didn't walk him up and down to aisle. That does nothing for his anxiety, and it's not quite the etiquette for us to annoy other humans who might not like dogs. I created a safe space for the floofs and made sure no one came within a meter of us. Wooohoo. Those who wanted to take photos asked me nicely, so I said yes. I asked the floofs to pose. When they did, about 50 phones were whipped to grab shots of them. Zzzzzzz. But no, nobody crowded the floofs, so they were calm and they were quite happy be given tasks to do. Hahahah. 

I don't think Choya minds Ryo hanging around, but she hasn't indicated that she missed him when he left. We didn't just send Ryo home on our own. We took Choya along, and made sure they played together at Ryo's home before leaving. That was for the two floofs to understand that they were going home/staying home separately. Ryo did look a bit sad when Choya left. Smol Girl didn't seem to care. LOL She happily ran into the lift with us without even looking back at bae. 😂

No comments: