Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Stjerneskud & Smørrebrød


Laughed because I was just talking about Scandinavian food with S the other day, and today I was sitting at Scandinavian-inspired three-month-old bistro Overbrød. The al fresco sitting area was sheltered and had two fans. I wish they installed another standing fan. Our Singapore heat is brutal.

They ran out of cold batch brew bottles of coffee. Too bad then. A hot cup of coffee it was. My filter black of an Ethiopian Sidamo was beautifully brewed. No complaints about it. It was a hot day and I needed something cold too. My weakness- flavored sodas. The lingonberry soda was absolutely delicious on a hot day.

I was glad that the food is 'inspired'— if it's offering me salty soup and traditional Scandinavian flavors and pickles, I won't be coming back. The food at this bistro is rather delicious! If you like open-faced sandwiches, they do up hearty versions. I like what I tasted, for sure. I think the menu has hit a right spot with many diners. 

The hay butter smoked potatoes with saffron aioli, chives, tobiko and garlic breadcrumbs were so tasty! The man couldn't resist the chicken and pork liver pâté. It came with rye bread, bacon, pickled beets and lingonberry jam. He loved it. There're beef and pork meatballs on the menu. I'm not bothered about it. The man would probably order it the next time. 

The bistro did a twist on the classic stjerneskud. I opted for the butter-fried breaded haddock, gravadlax, cold water shrimps, hard boiled egg, asparagus, remoulade, ikura, and lemon on homemade vetekaka. The vetekaka in this case is fennel bread. That was delicious!

No comments: