Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Cubano Buns at Beastly Girls

I don't make it a point to go for brunch at cafes even on weekends. I do that if it fits my schedule. Happy to do a random brunch at Beastly Girls that morning. Even found a parking spot right in front of the cafe. Of course it was crowded, but we didn't have to wait long for a seat. What took really long to arrive, the food. Even if you get it to-go, your wait for food is at least 20 minutes. 

On a busy weekend, although we got there before noon, they had ran out of the beef tongue sandwich and what I really wanted — tofu nuggets and slaw. Dohhh. So I had to settle for the kaya toast with what looks like 63°C eggs, and a side order of hash browns. I'm not exactly keen on kaya, but I'll live. I was looking for a sandwich that doesn't use sourdough. There is an option of toasted Cubano bun. I like those! There was chilli sauce to go with the hash browns, so I was very happy! The man had to take a fried chicken cutlet on a Cubano bun with Peruvian sauce, pickled chilli and Korean lettuce

Go before 10am if you can. The small 10-seater cafe is ridiculously HOT from 11am onwards. The sun beats down on the tables in the corridor, and directly on one table in particular. There are ceiling fans, but it's insufficient against our brutal humidity. The single table by the wall of the next shop is sweltering because there aren't any fans above. The coolest seats might actually be the high chairs at the counter. Those were exactly what I opted for. It was at least cooled by the fans or air-curtains in the shop. 

The dog was happily snoozing in the heat, and she wasn't too uncomfortable since there was moving warm air. She wasn't even interested in chilled water since she drank some on her walk earlier before settling down at the cafe. 

No comments: