Thursday, April 27, 2023

Last Dinosaurs at the Esplanade


Didn't mind catching Brisbane (Oz) indie rock trio Last Dinosaurs that night. I missed them the last round when they played in Singapore last November, brought in by Symmetry Entertainment. Now, five months later, I'm surprised that they're playing at the bigger Esplanade Concert Hall, courtesy of Esplanade Presents. The early bird tickets were affordable and gave us a good view of the stage.

This is still a tour for their fourth album 'From Mexico With Love' (November 2022), a homage to Japanese city rock. They've always got a session drummer on this sort of tours. When I first saw them maybe seven years ago, I was rather tickled. They were so so so so young. OMG. The band formed in 2009, and sounded exactly like what they were — a high school band. The guitarist and vocalist Sean Caskey is only 21 years old this year. Lead guitarist Lachlan Caskey is only 18 years old. 

Tonight, they sounded like a college band. Hurhurhur. The band is wayyy tighter than they were 10 years ago. Their songwriting has matured significantly. The music is less grating and not as exuberant (i.e in my face); by this fourth album, there're some layers and complexity lent to the lyrics and the melodies. However, I feel that the guitar work is still middling.

It's amazing how the childhood friends and brothers are still together and making music, and they're not even 25 years old! This explains how they're reaching out to an audience of a similar age group. The band has got their shrieking fans; I was quite amused by how enthusiastic the Singapore audience was. 

Also, I think at 45, I'm really old liao to be sitting among the youngsters at gigs like this. Okaaaay, standing, not sitting. Nobody bothered sitting down at these gigs, not even if it's at the elegant Esplanade Concert Hall. I didn't need to sit, obviously, since this was only a 90-minute gig. 

No comments: