Tuesday, April 04, 2023

Hot Sauces Challenge!!!


The man also binge-watched 'Hot Ones'. The difference between he and I is — he is most interested in all the hot sauces available, and to sample them. I'm NOT. I'm not a fan of hot sauces because they're too similar to Sichuan peppercorn, of which I abhor. Just give me chilli padi and sambal please. 

This box from Heatonist goes down as the best birthday gift this year from D and N. OMG. She totally knows how to pick out presents. When we went to retrieve the gift from the ParcelSanta locker, it was in a nondescript brown box. But it was heavy and one look at the sender sent both of us squealing, and D and N probably heard us from their home 7km away. 😂

He set up a wings date with K and Y, and laid out all the hot sauces. K is as keen on hot sauces as the man. Not quite a challenge, just a tasting, they both said. Nobody is slathering the hot sauce marinade on the wings American or Korean style. Hurhurhur. We got wings from Chic-A-Boo and Wing Stop — fried chicken crispy skin version, and standard marinated wings

I liked the coleslaw and mash from Chic-A-Boo. Uncomplicated old school flavors. Next time I shall go and get a big tub of coleslaw to inhale it. Hahaha. I don't like chicken or wings, so I got myself fried tofu instead. Hahahaha. Smart right? If I had ingested all these fried items, my IBS would have been spectacular. I also had siew mai and fan choy in the fridge so that I could have them for supper. Which I did, at 11.30pm while waiting for the washing machine and dishwasher to be done. 

This box holds Hot Ones 10-Pack Hot Sauces from Season 20. It included a printout describing the 10 hot sauces and their respective Scoville Heat Units (SHU). 10 bottles! #1 The Classic Chili Maple Edition (1600 SHU) tasted milder than Lingham's Hot Sauce. We even found it sweet. 

The table really liked #10 The Last Dab Apollo (no SHU advised). The rest were okay, but nobody liked #8 Da Bomb Evolution (135,600 SHU). It was simply bitter and tasted horrible; nothing to do with the heat numbers. This is already the 'retail-friendly' version. Ha! The show uses the version with pepper extract. That would taste like battery acid. *shudder

I prefer flavorful hot sauces over the fiery quotient. The heat is nothing if I'm just sampling. I'm not even eating a whole plate of it. I'll never do that. Dohhhh. My vote goes to #2 Shaquanda's Banjhee Ranch (6200 SHU) and #4 Hot Ones Los Calientes Verde (36,000 SHU) and #7 Angry Goat Dreams of Calypso (101,000 SHU).

Nobody needed milk or yoghurt or apple juice. They only needed iced water, like two glasses each. Not too bad. Nobody got burnt. Dessert was made up of bonbons and a chocolate mousse cake from Janice Wong, and chilled bubbly to cleanse the palate!

No comments: