Friday, May 26, 2023

長州火車頭米線


We went to Locomo / 火車頭米線 for lunch. M loves their noodles, and would try to eat it whenever she is in Cheung Chau. She first started going to Locomo when they opened in November 2013. There's nothing mind-blowing about its food because it's just noodles in soup. BUT it's comfort food done really well. I like!

The restaurant has managed to stay in business since. It utilized the pandemic lockdowns and low tourist volume to refurbish. Now they're reopened with an updated decor and an electronic ordering system in Chinese. The soy bean drink (comes chilled and not hot) that arrived with the bowl of noodles was surprisingly palatable. (I generally don't like soy milk, soya beancurd and soy-bean-anything.) The kitchen didn't put in too much sugar, they boiled to just the right texture and it wasn't too stinky. 

Take your pick from the available soup bases, choose your noodles and add on all the ingredients you want. I love it! It's not overly salty and has no nonsensical flavors in there. I can cook this too, except I obviously can't do it here. Heh. And this explains the popularity of the cute restaurant. That homecooked taste is something we can rarely find at restaurants/eateries now. Cooks seem to like to over-salt things and add wayyyy too much badly cooked stock. 

I took the peppery pig stomach soup, fish balls and fish paste. I skipped the mi xian (米線), which is thick beehoon. I wanted thin beehoon. Slurrrrrrp. Mmmmmmm. I should have ordered extra pieces of pig stomach! 

When we were waiting for a table at the restaurant, my heart skipped a beat. Two Shiba-ken were obediently sitting on the chairs with their pawrents. Oh my heart! The red Shiba-ken grinned at me. I almost reached out to rub his cheeks, but that would be a bad idea. Heh. I simply grinned back at him.

No comments: