Saturday, June 10, 2023

A Steamed Soon Hock with Roe and Liver


When we were done with all our SIFA and Flipside shows, the friends had a day for shopping, and of course, a meal before they flew home. No way to do lunch because everyone was all over the island. Hahah. Dinner it was. Found a table at the last minute at the very accommodating Sin Hoi Sai at Tiong Bahru. 

Ordered plenty of dishes. Asked for the smallest portions of each dish so that nobody would be too stuffed. It was a nice table of six, but still, we don't eat so much nowadays. Heh! We had so much food on the table! I didn't bother to take many photos. I was busy eating. I was hungry and needed rice. They didn't have brown rice, so I split a bowl of steamed white rice with P. 

Nobody had any objections to having a whole steamed fish that was a soon hock (marble goby). Nobody here minded that it was a freshwater fish. I sometimes can't understand why some people refuse to eat freshwater fish, and would only eat fish in the sea. Goodness! Soon hock is gorgeous when it's fresh.

Our 700-gram fish came steamed in soy sauce (港蒸笋壳), and the prizes — the two strips of roe and a small piece of liver. OMG. I love that! I love restaurants that serve soon hock with the innards. Those are the hallmark of the freshness of a fish that the restaurant is proud to have acquired.    

No comments: