Friday, June 02, 2023

Bar Buonasera HK


My favorite bar of the trip is Bar Buonasera at Mody Road, Tsim Sha Tsui. I like quiet whisky bars. I can't quite deal with jazz bars and bars with 'live music'. The choice of music is often extremely grating to me, and I tend to wear ear plugs at those bars. If I want 'live music', I'll check out an indie gig. As much as Darkside is beautiful, it's not my kind of bar because I'm an alcoholic a drinker, and I highly dislike its prices of whisky by the glass. 

Helmed by Ayako Miyake and Nick Tse, Bar Buonasera is a drinker's sanctuary. The duo were in Singapore in early May for a one-night stint at Smoke & Mirrors. I actually didn't know about that till later. Haha. Obviously Smoke & Mirrors (it's really cocktails) isn't a bar I hang out at unless I have guests in town to have a drink with. They're off to Mahaniyom Cocktail Bar in Bangkok in two weeks on 15 June. (Hey BKK people, GO SAY HI! One night only!)

These girls didn't like eat much dinner, except sliders at another bar earlier. They weren't feeling 100%. So I simply got some easy calamari and grilled wings for them. I really wanted that gorgonzola with honey and nuts. It was beautifully decorated with rice paper flowers. It was tasty, and perfectly complemented my peated malts. 

If I hang at out at a bar on my own, Bar Buonasera is exactly what I'm looking for. We went late, just before closing. I got in all the drams of whisky I wanted. Thrilled to see a bottle of Caol Ila 18 y.o. But sad that there was only a dram left and I couldn't have more. It's not that rare, but because 85% of Caol Ila whiskies are used for blends like Johnnie Walker, so it's rare to find an 18y.o lying around at the bars. I ended the night with a shot of Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Mmmm.

No comments: