Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Lunch at NOKA


NOKA
by Tippling Club at Funan Mall is a little cute restaurant that has completely fallen off my radar. Till I had a work-thing in the area, decided to get lunch with H in the vicinity. I suddenly recalled this restaurant on Level 7, accessible via Lift Lobby A. They had plenty of tables available at 12.45pm.  

Took the $80++ lunch omakase. Began with a fun scallop tacos. There was sashimi with hirame. Opted out of the amaebi in the sashimi and requested for them to replace it with some sort of fish. They gave me seared toro. LOL Fine. Haizzzz.

Added on a grilled fish cheek. It said 'kama' (かま) and I ordered it. Then realized, oops, I didn't ask if it would be yellowtail. I assumed it was. Yes, it was. It was so good. Hadn't had that in a while. The grilled black cod drizzled with katsuobushi broth and wild rice was delicious. But I felt a tad dissatisfied. The wild grains were just crunchy bits. I wanted actual steamed sticky rice. Hahahaha. 

Then there were finally carbs. A unagi rice cracker. The unagi was well grilled, and I gave a piece to H because I'm not keen on unagi. Wrapped it all up in the yaki nori and ate it in a bite. Dessert was a matcha mochi

I would return again for lunch. To come for a $245 omakase dinner, I'm not so sure. I don't mind its interpretation of Japanese food. It's pretty all right, but for dinner and sushi, its flavors and presentation aren't what I'm looking for. I want something traditional and no weird bits. NOKA had a decent list of whisky, and I just asked for a highball with Suntory. I don't need anything fancier. A cold highball on a hot day is the best. The ice came in a shiny rectangle column. Nice!

No comments: