Wednesday, July 19, 2023

แล้วพบกันใหม่ กรุงเทพฯ


Just like that, this short jaunt to Bangkok is done! Ate all the fiery chillies and spices, and a ton of som tam. I can't find these flavors in Singapore, and ate them to my heart's content here. Popped into Boots to stock up on eczema creams, meds. I didn't have to step into grocers or supermarkets to get spices, chillies and such because the friends thoughtfully packed all these into a giant carton for me to just lug home as 'fragile baggage'. Oh my. I even managed to get in a few foot massages. But I had no more time to do any other shopping, which was fine by me. Time in the city was so limited that leisure shopping for non-essentials ranked low on the list of to-dos.

I was so pleased to be able to chatter away in Tinglish. I've missed the friends so very much. It was an opportune weekend because many people happened to be in town and were only flying out the next week. Whewww. They would be taking packs of the bak kwa I brought over to many cities. Yayyy. Drank copious amounts of coffee and whisky. I'm sooo glad I caught up with many old Chula mates and long-time friends. รักพวกคุณทุกคน While some of them have popped in to Singapore in the past two years and we had great outings together, it meant a lot more to me to be in Bangkok with them this round.

Picked a convenient hotel in Rosewood that was directly linked to Phloen Chit BTS and to a sheltered walkway leading to Central Embassy mall. I wouldn't be going out of Sukhumvit Road. I mainly lurked at BACC, Chulalongkorn University and Jim Thompson Art Center, so this location was ideal. 

I'm not here to check out famous restaurants or IG-worthy cafes. I'm here to watch a play, to see friends, and get many many IRL hugs. And finally, to speak in Thai instead of having to type out long sentences in Thai. I don't like typing long texts on the phone in Chinese, Thai or Japanese. It's very painful hor. I simply use the rather-workable dictation function. Heh! 

I kept the eating and drinking moderate to keep indigestion at bay, and didn't let a bloated stomach or alcohol in the blood disrupt my sleep. I slept so deeply for six hours every night, dreamless, and woke up refreshed. Being in Bangkok this loooong weekend meant everything to me. I'm still in disbelief that it happened. Placed my trust in Singapore Airlines for punctual flights and faster clearance and immigrations, and it didn't disappoint. When you have a dog who is home alone, you will want to get home to her asap. 

นี่เป็นวันหยุดที่ยอดเยี่ยมมาก ลาก่อนกรุงเทพ พบกันเร็ว ๆ นี้หวังว่า

No comments: