Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Som Tam นัว / ส้มตำนัว


I don't have a lot of time to hunt down restaurants or food that I like. But I'll settle for little restaurants in malls that churn flavors which I can't find in Singapore. Plenty of these around that are conveniently located as I whoosh from appointment to appointment. 

Had to have som tam at any chance I get. I only want to eat Thai food when I'm in Thailand. It's such a short trip that I don't want to be eating any other cuisine. Besides adding on som tam to the meals at whichever restaurant I happen to be at, I also stopped at little stalls on the streets to get a fix. (My stomach is perfectly fine.) For one lunch, when Som Tam Nua (or Som Tam นัว / ส้มตำนัว) simply appeared in front of me while I was looking for a lunch venue, I went in. 

The rather tasty grilled chicken was simply a form of protein to sustain the man. Hahaha. He also wanted some spicy pork rib soup. Sure. Got that. Thought I should eat some more vegetables. Ordered the seasonal vegetables which arrived in the form of stir-fried chives and eggs. Yay!

Opted for the som tam with fermented fish sauce and salted field crab (som tam boo pla ra / ส้มตำปูปลาร้า) , and topped with a salted egg (ไข่เค็ม). I like the entire flavors of this northern style som tam but I'm not keen on the crab bits; the man is though, so he ate all the crab. Heh. I decided to go for broke with the carbs. Ate my som tam with black glutinous rice. This was a pretty good plate! Tangy happiness. What a satisfying meal!

No comments: