Wednesday, September 27, 2023

A Garden Wedding Party

I rarely attend weddings nowadays. Some friends who are on their second or third weddings, and for a select few, I will still attend, especially if I see them regularly. Church weddings and drinks are fine; luncheons are dependent on venue and mode. I prefer not to attend those awkward and stilted sit-down Chinese banquets. I ABSOLUTELY DETEST THOSE> I NO GIVE FACE TO ANYONE FOR THAT. 

This afternoon's wedding celebration for Candice and Ross was held at such a gorgeous garden venue of Sri House at Dempsey. There were canapés but it wasn't a luncheon or tea. Importantly, the invitation indicated 'drinks'. VERY GOOD. I had happily accepted and turned up. I wouldn't have minded if they had opted for an outdoor garden party. But I guess it's impractical to do so in Singapore. They held it indoors, in pleasant air-conditioning. 

As luck would have it, Sri House ran out of Glenfiddich for this party, and gave me Monkey Shoulder. I'll pass. That choice totally controlled my alcohol intake. I opted for red wine instead. I don't drink that much red wine because the sulphites do funny things to IBS symptoms. That meant I would take it slow. And I did. I was done after two very full glasses of red. Then I downed four full glasses of water and felt really pleased. I even skipped the boozy wedding cake and opted for a piece of the other non-boozy wedding cake.

Have I already talked about those BounceBack pills? I think they rebranded to something else. But the point is the same. DrinkAid, et cetera. Take those at your own peril. It doesn't mean you can drink like a fish after. That's not the point. You will still get drunk if you go overboard and feel like shit, and still kena a hangover. At our age, why would anyone just want to get sloshed for the sake of clubbing and getting sloshed? Your skin sucks and your throat feels like crap the next day.

It was a very busy weekend full of socials for me. I could put my foot down to say no to attending, but I didn't. I decided to turn up for all my socials since I care about these people. I knew I was in for a whole weekend of drinking. I could decline alcohol. These weren't mad parties where people would force anyone to drink. 

I don't feel pressurized about drinking either. I never do. I drink if I feel like it, and I don't if I don't. That's that. Nobody would dare to or have any right to judge me for not drinking, or drinking for that matter. But that Saturday, I felt like having three drinks in the afternoon and five drinks at night. So I decided to take it slow and pop some pills to ease the load off of my liver.

No comments: