Thursday, September 28, 2023

Y's Achar Buah


Y gifted us a tub of achar buah. His version is filled with well, preserved fruit. Remember those candied plums, raisins and olives of our childhood? I didn't eat them, but I remember them. Y used these in his pot of achar, simmered, boiled down and placed in tubs for his friends.

This achar buah is sweeter and less tangy than the usual Nyonya achar. The latter uses vegetables (cauliflower, cucumber, carrot, etc) rather than fruits. Don't ask me about spicy. I don't find achar spicy at all even though chillies are used in the concoctions.

I didn't want to keep the achar buah forever. I decided to finish it in three meals. Went to get lunch after HIIT so that I could whack those carbs into my tummy. The man wanted carbs too! The Jalan Sultan area was convenient for us. So it wasn't a matter of getting the 'best of' whatever or at our usual 'ideal' eateries. It was a convenient, decent pack of lunch that we wanted to go with the achar buah.

The man got chicken biryani for the man from Victory and added on vegetables and chicken innards. I wanted nasi padang and didn't mind the version from Hjh Maimunah, and added on sides so that we had extras and got a portion saved for dinner too. I had no time to get out to buy dinner that night or sit down anywhere to leisurely eat. 

I bought six begedil. Hahahaha. And loads of sambal quail eggs. There, spices sorted. The spicy part would come from there, and also from Hjh Maimunah's very good sambal terasi and sambal belachan. These went so so well with the sweet achar buah. What fantastic foods!

No comments: