Friday, September 15, 2023

Celery in This Chicken Stew

The man has a sudden fascination with chicken stew, and decided to prep his own version of it. I was sooo tickled. I think he would be having homecooked chicken stew all month. When the pot is just for us, we don't cook that much; we can feed four pax easily lah. The volume is enough for dinner and maybe two more meals for the man.

The man's version of stew is the classic one with celery, white wine, bit of Lea & Perrins, and cream, and a touch of light soy. Along with the usual carrots, potatoes, mushrooms and red pepper for depths of flavor.  I think that the red pepper is not so important, but we like red peppers in stews, so we added that randomly anyway. The celery is the essential ingredient. I'm not hot about celery, but I don't mind it in my food; I just won't eat it.

Unlike my Asian-style chicken stews, the man's version can be eaten on its own without rice. Tonight, the man had big servings of the stew, with potatoes as carbs and nothing extra. No rice, no bread. If you're a fan of chicken stew done this way, the man does an excellent version. N got a taste of it when she came by to drop off stuff in between moving-home madness, and because she hadn't eaten all day, we insisted that she ate something before leaving. 

The Smol Girl scored herself some steamed chimken too. We got bone-in thighs and two whole drumsticks plus two pieces of breast meat for us, and 200g of tenderloin fillets for her. I was too lazy to haul out the utensils to sous vide. Steaming her tenderloin fillets in a ramekin in a pot was a lot quicker and neater. Heh. 

This 200-gram portion of chimken would be split into her bite-sized snack in the morning and late afternoon. She didn't like the rains or thunder one bit, but come dinner time, she was willing to eat. She was very pleased with her meal. 

I had my tiny bowl of stew with a cheese and garlic ciabatta. That was delicious. Ciabatta is my bread, not sourdough. No no no to sourdough. I'm not a fan of chicken or celery, no matter how comforting they go together. I might be more amenable to stews in winter. Hahaha. In a stew like this, I'll only take a bit of meat, loads of mushrooms and potatoes and try to avoid the celery. The stew unintentionally complemented the heavy rains tonight.

No comments: