Friday, October 06, 2023

A Highball & 360ml of Sake


I've been going to Nobu-ya 信屋 at Fortune Center for years and haven't had any complaint about the place. A highball or sake and easy food to fill my stomach — perfect for a casual night. 

I don't really understand the criticisms leveled at the izakaya and its boss. I suppose he rubs people up the wrong way. Everyone drinks at an izakaya. If you don't drink, then don't come. Or make sure your group orders more than enough drinks for everyone to drink it for you. 

At least for years that I've been stopping by, the boss or staff never had a problem with my friends who don't drink since I'll either drink their share or some of us will, ensuring a matched number of drinks to humans. If I'm alone, I don't bother making any reservations; I simply walk in. They'll always have a seat for me. It's really a neighborhood joint that's super casual. I'm not looking for any flourishes to the service or any attention. Just give me my food and alcohol and I'll be happy.

That night, the man and I plus two friends walked in to Nobu-ya at 8pm and got cute little seats at the counter which are one of my preferred angles in this little izakaya. It's less claustrophobic. Heh. However, I had to leave my seat, drink and food for 20 minutes before returning. I won't elaborate on the reasons here, but it was imperative that I left for a bit to run an errand. Literally. I had to do a 1-km sprint to and fro the restaurant in record time, in my saltwater sandals (they have an ankle strap). A total of 2km. This must be one of the fastest timings I've ever done sprinting 1km uphill in five minutes. No, this wasn't a dare. I had an errand to attend to that was time-crucial + time-sensitive, of which I clean forgot about.

I was soooooo hungry when I got back. The man ate half of the bowl of rice with his grilled unagi and sliced tenderloin. So I finished up the rest with the stir-fried garlic chives and pork, and had another order of cold zaru soba with stir-fried bittergourd and eggs. And gulped down a glass of very chilled highball before putting away 360ml of sake. 

Damn... this was a cardio workout that I didn't bargain for. While I felt dumb for having to do this errand because I forgot about it, I was rather pleased with my running. I'm not a sprinter. But at 45 years old, I can do my 5km < 29 minutes. I consider that pretty decent. I cleared compulsory 2.4km runs decades ago in school in < 11minutes on a bad day. I used to average 10:30. I've never liked like running, and I still don't. But I dutifully do a 5km sprint weekly to meet cardio requirements. 

Thank gawwd I didn't agree to stop by Origin Bar at Shangri-la Hotel for them to taste some fancy peanut butter cocktail. If we did, that errand wouldn't have happened and I'd have to live with the shitty consequences. So thankful that we opted for Nobu-ya instead. Divine intervention eh. Tonight's run was totally unexpected. I was lucky that the sandals are tough, and I was already in athleisure wear, and most importantly, in a sports bra. Yet I wasn't drenched in perspiration. I didn't feel out of breath. I'm quite pleased that I can do this. Wonderful. I'm ready for the zombie apocalypse. 

Nobu-ya 信屋 
190 Middle Road, Fortune Center
#01-05, Singapore 188979
Hours: Tuesdays to Sundays, 6-11pm. 
T: +65 6338 3450

No comments: