Tuesday, December 05, 2023

Ganjang-Gejang and Yukhoe

Chang Korean BBQ is still a quiet oasis away from town. I eat there often enough to know that it has kept its standards. Its banchan is one of the most varied and generous in town. I hate a miserable and sad spread of banchan at Korean restaurants. Unless it's a small eatery offering lunch sets or dinner sets under S$40, then two plates of banchan excluding kimchi would be more than suffice. 

Tonight's banchan included marinated (in soy) crabs (ganjang-gejang) and also cooked cockles! Wheeeeee. The man was extremely pleased. No white kimchi things though. Too bad for me. The table had seafood japchae, the usual non-spicy doenjang jjigae (soybean paste stew). I had to have the yukhoe (육회). I like Chang's iteration. 

Tonight I wanted to eat rice. Felt like it. So had grilled meats with rice. I finished the whole bowl. Oops. The grilled meats don't come cheap; none at Korean restaurants come cheap. But Chang's prices are so worth it. Ordered the usual ox tongue, beef brisket and beef bulgogi, and pork short-ribs. If only the other options of pork on the menu aren't the fatty cuts. Ugh. We were too lazy to grill it at the table. Requested for the kitchen to grill them for us. Ditched makgeoli tonight. Opted for Terra beer which was pretty light for a pale lager. Heh. 

No comments: