Thursday, January 18, 2024

Keeping Choya at 7.5kg


Carrying Choya frequently meant that I've been feeling like she's gotten slightly heavier. She's not really fatter, but she's piled on a bit of muscle, a bit of floof and such. She has always hovered at 6.8 to 6.9kg. She hit 7kg but couldn't maintain it although she eats well. 

For this Smol Girl, losing weight is easy. Putting on weight is like this huge challenge that takes time. Given her Grade II patella luxation, I'm not keen on her putting on weight fast. The weight increase must be matched in muscle gain and even pressure on her joints. It can't be sudden or too much.

So from mid-July 2023, I've been trying to keep her food even, balance the fats and exercise, and have her hit 7.5kg healthily. Not like I haven't been doing so, but I've been increasing her food portions bit by bit. This girl doesn't like over-eating, so if she's not in the mood to eat, there's nothing I can do about leftovers. I didn't bother weighing her at home. I'm not that obsessed over her weight on a weekly basis. I only measured her when we were at the veterinary clinic last weekend. 

Yay! 7.4kg! She is almost there!! 

Took her in to the vet last weekend to renew her annual heartworm vaccine and get a Complete Blood Count (CBC) done. Her anxiety meant that her cortisol levels are raised frequently. That's no good to the immune system. I wanted to have her platelets and blood cells checked. If there're no visible injuries, I can't tell what's going on with Choya internally. So a CBC with an SDMA done twice a year would be great. Her January tests returned normal. Her next check-in and blood draw would be in July, for a titer test (adenovirus, distemper and parvovirus), to renew her leptospirosis and bordetella vaccine. 

All right, girl. Let's keep this 7.5kg aye aye? 

No comments: