Thursday, January 11, 2024

My Godson Is One!


I don't attend children's parties simply because they terrify me. But I made an exception for my godson's First birthday celebration. HE IS ONE. It's a milestone birthday! Plus the parents were so gracious to extend the invitation to Choya. Of course the husband and I would go. 

The parents ordered a lovely ladybird cake from Creme Maison Bakery. Ladybirds, because the little boy's favorite book right now is about ladybirds. The parents would be mad-busy with set-up and greeting guests. I didn't mind having an errand to fulfil — I happily went to collect the cake. 

The bakery is currently located at the BreadTalk IHQ building at Tai Seng Road. I was flummoxed because none of the lifts I saw stop on the eighth floor. It was like a twilight zone floor. Then I realized, lift to the bakery is only accessible via the main lobby where the UOB offices are, and the eighth floor must be swiped in by the security guards. How convoluted, like it was a top secret floor. But no, it was a regular floor, replete with a boutique gym. Carried the cake to the party like it was a kettlebell. 

For a change from Peranakan caterers and the usual menu, the godson's parents opted to set up a BBQ station with chefs from Chef de Maison. It was a rainy day. While we enjoyed the cooler temps and the shelter indoors, the chefs had to grill in the rain. Well, there was some sort of shelter, one would still be wet, but the chefs were totally prepared for it with ponchos. Very professional. 

The food was absolutely delicious! The grilled pork chops and slabs of beef were beautifully tender and nicely charred. I ate so much of that sakura ebi truffle angel hair pasta topped with ikura. The Korean abalone was a hit! Everyone ate loads and minimized wastage.  

I didn't socialize that much, so it didn't feel draining. I was quite at ease. I simply said hi to the people around me and to the friends' parents who're always so kind to us. I was also busy eating, and drinking, and keeping an eye on Choya. The Smol Girl was comfortable in a crowd and picked a corner to chill out at. The only tot who wanted to pull her ear was the godson. LOL I allowed it. He spotted her and wanted to come over to sniff her. Heh! His grip strength is fine for now and when supervised, he's allowed to pull her ears and rub her cheeks. 

Post-party, we really didn't mind more post-party drinks along with the 抓週禮. LOL The godson picked the abacus and hung on to it. Grinned at us. He considered the calculator and all that, but didn't let go of the abacus. All right then. Be smart like that, boy. Grow well. Be happy.

Two more empty bottles joined the group after this photo was taken. Heh!

No comments: