Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Teochew Cold Crab & Osmanthus Danchong Gin


Stopped by Shao Tapas at Holland Village on a rainy evening. At least its outdoor area is sheltered and has overhead fans. It was packed out tonight. The menu offers a pretty good selection of Teochew dishes. I don't know if these are traditional or cooked with a contemporary twist, but the dishes suit my tastebuds just fine, although it could always go lighter on the salt and oil.

Luckily I popped an antihistamine. The Teochew cold crab was beautiful. It was just the man and I, so we couldn't get the marinated raw crabs. That would require sharing between a table of four. The man didn't want raw oysters or oyster porridge, so he got them as an oyster omelette; that chill was pretty decent. The white pepper pig stomach soup is boiled with loads of pickled vegetables (酸菜猪肚汤). Wheeeee. I quite like it! 

The pan-seared Hokkaido cuttlefish with squid ink came as an Asian sausage. So fun! It's nice to see the white bits that aren't fats. but actual cuttlefish. The man ordered this and was flummoxed because he wasn't expecting 'lupcheong'. I took a look at the menu. Ahhh — it does state 'sausage' style. He can't read the Chinese words, no wonder. It said '铁板北海道墨鱼肠'. Heh!

I had to order the stir-fried kway teow with chye poh and kai lan. It was pretty decent, but I no like the kway teow in the dark sauce. I like it as the white version like what Paradise Teochew does. Of course we couldn't finish the kway teow. Too much carbs. We packed half of that home. Kway teow keeps terribly, but it would last for lunch the next day.

The house gin infused with osmanthus and danchong (凤凰单丛乌龙, oolong) with tonic water was rather refreshing. I quite happily slurped up three glasses. The ABV didn't seem that heavy. Wheeeeee. Then the rain lightened enough for us to take a slow stroll back to the carpark in the next building. 

No comments: