Wednesday, January 31, 2024

Three Pastas & A Sea Bass at Fico


The man finally tried Fico's focaccina tonight — a pumpkin with smoked stracciatella and aged coppa. Muahahaha. He never managed to try that when it was just us, and when I went with some friends, he didn't join us, and we never bothered with the extra carbs. I guess most people take a focaccina as a starter of 'bread'. 

Had three bowls of pasta! Yayyy! There were scampi tagliolini, a super pleasing orecchiette tossed with cime di rapa (turnip greens), anchovies, evoo, and just one portion of spaghetti cacio e pepe. LOVE. Pasta is always welcome at this table.

We also had charcoal grilled octopus with chickpeas, thyme and frigitelli (peppers), black pork with parmigiana, colatura and red endive. Made it to two desserts of a hazelnut fragipane and apple cake

And because we were greedy, added a beautifully braised sea bass. The server said that it would take 40 minutes to do this. So we put in this order right before anything else.

We forgot to ask how the sea bass would be done. It was braised in a light broth. Nice!! I offered to fillet it for us, twice. But the man insisted on having the server do it. I was like, okay, I'm not going to argue, have it your way. Obviously, he regretted pushing through his decision. Let's just say that there's reason why I offered, and twice at that.

The usual practice nowadays for enlightened restaurants would be to either waive corkage completely or waive it when we bring a bottle and we buy a bottle. Tonight, the friends brought a beautiful red. These totally complemented a 2012 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve (Toscana). The red was full bodied and all berries. Absolutely delicious. 

Then L announced that this was my birthday dinner from them, and we were celebrating in advance! I was mortified because I had happily ordered a not exactly cheap bottle of champagne, thinking that I would be getting the bill. How could I let friends pay for my alcohol! We did get the bill actually, but dunno what tricks L pulled, and our bill was voided and hers went through. 那今晚,她說了算. All right then. 😘

No comments: